Oral Cancer Facts
At Cosmetic Dentists of Houston, we take oral cancer very seriously. We offer free oral cancer screenings to all of our patients. Dr. Amanda Canto travels to schools throughout Houston, Texas to educate kids about the relationship between oral cancer, HPV and oral sex. Education on oral cancer facts is a guaranteed method for preventative dental care.
Dr. Canto has developed the Oral Cancer Screening Initiative and the Oral Cancer Screening Directory USA to encourage dentists everywhere to offer free oral cancer screenings and oral cancer facts to their patients during routine dental exams.
Oral Cancer Facts You Need To Know
- Oral cancer is one of the fastest growing cancers in the USA, especially among young people.
- The spread of oral cancer has been linked with oral sex and the HPV virus.
- Oral cancer affects more than 30,000 people in the US each year.
- Oral cancer is responsible for approximately 8,000 deaths each year (even more than melanoma or cervical cancer).
- Oral cancer can be treatable with early diagnosis: the survival rate for oral cancer is very high if detected early – up to 80% and the treatment and procedures for removal are much easier and less disfiguring the earlier it is detected.
- Oral Cancer can be deadly with delayed diagnosis: patients with advanced oral cancers have only a 19% survival rate.
Your Dentist Can Make a Difference!
The Oral Cancer Foundation states that:
Just doing ‘opportunistic’ cancer screenings of the existing patient population which visits a dental office every day, would yield tens of thousands of opportunities to catch oral cancer in its early stages.¹
Dr. Amanda Canto is trying to set a precedent for dentists across the country to offer oral cancer screening to their patients during routine check-ups. She believes that dentists can, and have the responsibility to significantly increase the survival rate of oral cancer by increasing the rate of early detection.
Learn more about Dr. Canto’s Oral Cancer Screening Initiative
Find a dentist near you using our Nationwide Oral Cancer Screening Directory
“Historically the death rate associated with this cancer is particularly high, not because it is hard to discover or diagnose, but due to the cancer being routinely discovered late in its development.”
Early Detection is Critical
Early detection, in the pre-malignant stage, is simple and painless and can be easily included in any dentist’s routine oral check-ups. Dr. Amanda Canto offers free oral cancer screenings to all of her patients and has developed a proactive approach to oral cancer detection.
Read more about Dr. Canto’s Oral Cancer Screening Protocol.
Read more about OralID, a new oral cancer screening device which can help identify the earliest signs and abnormalities: Early Detection of Oral Cancer with OralID
Why Oral Cancer Facts Are So Important!
“Oral cancer is one of the fastest growing cancers in the US – it kills one person out of every hour out of every day – and now it is affecting a younger and younger population…”